Friday 6 November 2015

Let's Talk Tea

I have always been more of a coffee person than a tea person. The richer flavours of coffee appealed to me more than the 'posh hot water' of my mother's teas. Over time, though, I came to a very important realisation:

I have been drinking the wrong kinds of tea.

Enter Beastly Beverages, a creator of fandom-inspired luxury teas. I must admit, I was first drawn in by the fandom aspect, with the beautiful artwork on the labels, but as I was encouraged to smell the bags by the wonderful staff at an MCM expo stall, I realised that maybe I could give tea another chance. I am so glad I did.

Every tea I've tried has a series of layers of taste, some more unusual than others, yet all satisfyingly refreshing. It's what I imagined tea should be, and why more generic brands simply felt bland and boring. From 'The Trickster' (sweetly butterscotch) to 'The Morning Star' (fruity and sweet with a slight chilli tingle) to 'Exit Stage Crowley' (smoky and complex) and 'The Boy King' (calm and soothing), you can be sure there's something to suit everyone's palate. Personally, I've not encountered a tea from Beastly Beverages that I didn't like.

Which makes it all the more amazing for me that this all comes from an independent tea creator based in London. The way in which teas and flavours complement each other is handled so skilfully that I would have imagined a team with centuries of experience behind them had I not known! They also only use organic ingredients, which is wonderful news for those of us who enjoy our luxury without putting aside our ethics.

The Patreon for Beastly Beverages can be found here, and offers rewards such as samples of new teas, money off coupons, the chance to get a tea made especially for you and many more goodies. The Etsy store is here, and while the selection of teas is gradually being restocked, there is still a vast range of beautiful fandom teas to buy!

If, after all this, you are still more of a coffee person, I have good news - Beastly Beverages does also sell flavoured coffees. They are a little rarer, as each batch takes time to flavour fully, but they are crafted with the same care and attention to flavour as the teas are, and well worth keeping an eye out for.

No comments:

Post a Comment